City of Green Bay logo

Department of Public Works

Digital Services During COVID-19

The Department of Public Works provides essential services to the City of Green Bay, even during times of crisis or increased public health and safety precautions within our area. This page is designed in an effort to provide the same essential services to both residents and contractors during the COVID-19 situation, while limiting the amount of person-to-person contact. This is for the safety and well-being of both the community and City employees.

Public Works Digital Counter Services

Excavation & Obstruction Permits
Reserve Parking Meter Hoods
Order a Trash or Recycle Cart
Pay a Parking Citation OnlineContest a Parking Citation
Single Trip OSOW PermitsBlock Party PermitsContact Public Works by Email

See the tabs at the bottom of this page for more links and documents related to our Digital Counter Services.

Request for Service Website

The Request for Service website is still available to residents wishing to report potholes, missed garbage or recycle collection, traffic signal timing issues, and more.

Contact Information

The Department of Public Works remains available by phone and email using the following contact information, however, we recommend reviewing our website or using the Request for Service website above to answer the most common questions and resolve common issues before calling our department directly.

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

(920) 448-3100
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

(920) 448-3535
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

(920) 448-3431

  1. engineering
  2. operations
  3. parking

Obstruction and Excavation Permits

The Department of Public Works requires permits for all work within the City of Green Bay right-of-way. This includes occupying/obstructing the right-of-way, including any excavation (digging). The graphics below can help you determine if your work (digging, occupying/obstructing, or both) are taking place in the public City of Green Bay right-of-way.

Public (City) Right-of-Way with SidewalkPublic (City) Right-of-Way without Sidewalk

Information about excavation and obstruction permits is below.

Type of PermitExcavation PermitObstruction Permit
What is this permit for?Examples:
  • Removing sidewalk to fix a sewer lateral.
  • Removing an existing driveway apron in order to pour a new driveway apron.
  • Excavating terrace to access a water lateral.


  • Placing equipment on the sidewalk.
  • Have a crane or lift parked in a parking lane on a City street.
  • Any other work that requires obstructing the City right-of-way without excavating or digging.
Who can apply?Only the bonded and insured contractor that is actually performing the work.Any individual, group, or company.
Do I need both permits?Yes.

You will automatically receive an obstruction permit when you apply for an excavation permit. Do not apply for them separately. 

If you are only occupying/obstructing the right-of-way, you do not need an excavation permit.
Is insurance and bond required?Yes.

Contact the City's Risk Management Department at 920-448-3147 or for the requirements.
Cost$50.00 base fee; plus incremental cost based on total square footage of excavation if pavement is removed.There is no cost for an obstruction permit.
Link to Permit ApplicationExcavation Permit Application

Permit applications are reviewed and processed in the order they are received. It may take up to three (3) full business days to receive an approved permit.

Work may not begin until all approved permits are received from The Department of Public Works.

Need an extension? Fill out the Permit Extension Application online. 

View the Excavation & Obstruction Permit Requests Instructions (PDF).

Concrete/Sidewalk Builders License

Please call the Department of Public Works at (920) 448-3100 questions regarding applications for Concrete/Sidewalk Builders Licenses.

Pay a Parking Citation

Click Here to Pay a Parking Citation Online

There is no fee to pay with a credit or debit card online. You must know either the License Plate Number you received the citation for, or the full citation number.

You may also call (920) 448-3431 or (920) 448-3432 to pay over the phone, mail in payment, or use the drop boxes located at the entrances to City Hall. Due to the large volume of calls we may receive, we recommend paying online or dropping off payment, if possible.

Mailed or Drop Box Payment Requirements:

  • Exact cash (no change will be given)
    • Green Bay Police Department will also accept cash payments, if needed, for Parking Citations at the Police Station located at 307 S. Adams Street.
  • Check
  • Money Order

Contest a Parking Citation

The registered owner of the vehicle may contest a parking citation.  Please contact Green Bay Parking Division by telephone at (920) 448-3431 or (920) 448-3432 or by email to receive the contestation paperwork.  A driver's license is required to accompany the paperwork when returned to office staff.

Parking Permits

Apply for a parking permit - daily (meter hood), monthly, or residential parking district - by visiting

Drop Box Locations at City Hall